Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dear Winter

Dear Winter,
You've left my hands cold.
And it seems I have misplaced my red and white mittens.
With wide open eyes, I stare at the sleeping snow on the trees.
And I wave to the bear, before his long hibernation.
He waves to me before crawling in his cave of sleep.
Yes, I'm only reminded of our own winter hibernation.
OH winter, while the others sleep in deep motivation.
Please don't leave these bare hands of mine, without mittens.

Oh winter,
Don't tell me my love has headed south, packed and ready for migration.
Oh who will whisper symphonies in these bare ears of mine?
And who will warm the coldest parts of me?
Who's lips will remain warm and prevent the terrifying frostbite?
Who's set of arms will circulate my blood, my lungs?

Dearest winter,
This cold morning, I saw the bear crawl out of hibernation
And with an empty jar of honey, he waved at me.
And I’m reminded that we all are wakened from our sleep, eventually
As the warm breath of the Creator taps on our chest.

P.S. And winter if you fail me, God, will you be my mittens?

No comments:

Post a Comment